I see the shadow representative as having three purposes:
1. To listen to and learn from my community
2. To skill up myself and supporters in advance of winning the seat at the next election
3. To demonstrate that there is a viable alternative to the two-party system
Being a shadow representative is not analogous to being the elected federal Member for Bradfield, because the sitting Member:
1. Gets paid to represent; the shadow representative does not;
2. Has formal power; the shadow representative does not;
3. Has party backing; the shadow representative does not.